Coming of age- my experience

Its funny how fast life seems to go. In just one day, you could realize that you're older and you're at the point in life where everything just gets more and more difficult. For me, coming of age means that I have more responsibilities, more important things to do and think about, and it means that I have to become more independent.

Looking at how my life is going right now, I can see clearly that things have stepped up. I have more responsibilities around the house and more things are expected from me. My parents expect me to take over the jobs that my sisters had while they still lived with us. I have to do the laundry, clean up whenever i could, take care of the younger ones (my niece), and cook. While taking over their jobs, I became more independent. My parents and my older siblings don't have to tell me what to do and when to do it. I make my own decisions about my education and I take full responsibility for my actions. Through making my own decisions came thinking more and more about the important stuff in my life. I don't go through a day not thinking about what I want to do when i finish high school or what classes I would take in college or what classes should I take in my next year of high school that would be good for my specific college.

Moving on, stepping up, and growing up is tough. Each decision we make could change our whole life. One thing that I learned that is important through it all is to have fun. Coming of age doesn't mean that life stops being fun. It just means that I have to make the best of whatever happens.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebekah!
    Great job on the blog revision...the writing on the heading and the background work together nicely with your title and theme.
    Assessment: 4

    Nice reflection on coming of age...seems like you've given it a lot of thought :) Be sure when you do the actual essay, though, that it is a narrative, a specific event that will "show, not tell" about your COA.
    Assessment: 3

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete